What's Happening ARCHIVE
PRESS RELEASE: PHLPost releases St. Stephens 100th anniversary commemorative stampsJune 27, 2017 Posted By: Corp.Comm
The Philippine Postal Corporation (PHLPost) released postage stamps on June 21 to commemorate St. Stephen’s High School’s (SSHS) 100th founding Anniversary.
SSHS is the first Christian Chinese academic institution in Luzon. In July of 1917, the leaders of the church that was headed by Bishop Charles Henry Brent under the American Episcopal Mission decided to open a school that will admit girls as most schools only afforded education to boys back in the day.
St. Stephen’s Girls’ School, as it was originally called, started in Reina Regente St. with just 19 enrollees. Its first commencement exercises were held in 1922.
Over the years, St. Stephen’s enrollees grew in numbers and they had to relocate to a lot beside St. Luke’s Hospital in Magdalena St., now known as Masangkay. In 1941, a new library, classrooms and a dormitory were completed in the new building.
However, their flourish was halted in the rise of World War II. The new building was ruined, and most American educators were held prisoners in the University of Sto. Tomas.
With St. Stephen’s dedication to spread the Christian faith through education, they reopened in 1946. There were 500 students who returned, along with former teachers and other employees. All of them, through the efforts of Huang Ong Bi Gim, helped in the healing and reconstruction of the school.
In 1949, in order to remove the stigma on boys studying in a girls’ school, the school was officially renamed to St. Stephen’s High School. It was in 1963 when the new five-story building with 1,100-seat auditorium was completed.
Today, SSHS is known for being awarded the Highest Level Accreditation Status from the Federation of Accrediting Agencies of the Philippines, through the Association of Christian Schools, Colleges and Universities Accrediting Agency, Inc.
The commemorative stamps have two designs—the first one featuring SSHS building, the official logo on the upper left corner, the centennial anniversary logo on the lower right corner, Chinese characters that mean “St. Stephen’s High School 100 Years Anniversary” on the extreme left and the centennial anniversary celebration theme “100 Years of God’s Faithfulness” at the bottom; and the second one featuring St. Stephen’s Elementary School building, the official logo on the upper right corner, the centennial anniversary logo on the lower left corner, Chinese characters that mean “St. Stephen’s High School 100 Years Anniversary” on the extreme right and the centennial anniversary celebration theme “100 Years of God’s Faithfulness” at the bottom.
PHLPost has commissioned Amstar Company Inc. to print 101,000 copies (50,500 se-tenant pairs) of the commemorative stamps, to be sold at P12 each. The stamps were designed by PhlPost layout artist Rodine Teodoro, in coordination with Reynaldo de Jesus of St. Stephen.
The stamps and official first day cover are now available at the Post Shop, Central Post Office, Window 04, Liwasang Bonifacio, Manila and area post offices nationwide. For inquiries, please call 527-01-08 or 527-01-32.